The Iowa Promise points out the challenges of building and maintaining modern teaching spaces in an attractive, safe and functional physical environment. In order to more effectively meet this challenge, the Office of the Provost seeks broad input from the campus community to ensure successful development and use of learning spaces, both formal and informal, across the University of Iowa campus. Major learning space renovations should be presented to the Executive Team during the planning phase.
The Learning Spaces Executive Team provides specific recommendations regarding learning space proposals, projects, and programs that support campus learning spaces. The Team analyzes needs, defines project deliverables, identifies resources, form sub-teams as needed, and communicates with the campus. Members of the Learning Spaces Executive Team are appointed on an annual basis by the Provost or designee. The chair is chosen from among the committee’s members.
The Learning Spaces Advisory Committee provides guidance and oversight for the learning space support model to ensure that the needs and concerns of the campus community are met. The group also provides direction and develops strategy for the future of learning space support on campus. The goal is to provide a high level of campus input and involvement that will efficiently and effectively offer the best possible learning space experience for students and instructors.
The members of Learning Spaces Advisory Committee are appointed by the Associate Provost for Undergraduate Education and approved by the Learning Space Executive Team. Membership includes:
- The Associate Provost for Undergraduate Education
- The Director of the Center for Teaching
- The Associate Director in Facilities Management in charge of classroom usage
- Three Associate Deans chosen by the Associate Provost
- Six faculty members, appointed to three-year terms
- Two student representatives, appointed to one-year terms
- The Associate Registrar in the Office of the Registrar responsible for class scheduling
- A representative from ITS
Both committees seek input from other advisory committees and constituencies as needed.
Learning Spaces Executive Team:
- Beth Ingram, co-chair
- Steve Fleagle, co-chair
- Maggie Jesse, facilitator
- Jean Florman
- David Grady
- Joe Kearney
- Diane Machatka
- Renee Houser